Wednesday, November 28, 2007

CDH Awareness Day

I belong to a support group for parents of CDH children called Breath of Hope. They have a campaign underway to get March 31, 2008 proclaimed as Congenital Diaphragmatic Awareness Day in all fifty states. This fall a few other Alabama moms and I wrote to the governor requesting that he proclaim this day. I just received a signed proclamation from him that declares the entire month of March as Congenital Diaphragmatic Awareness Month! I'm going to frame the proclamation and show it to Claire when she is older.


I believe that thirteen states have proclaimed the day so far. I asked my friend who lives in Maine to write to her governor and he proclaimed the day, and I asked my sister-in-law in Georgia to write her governor and he proclaimed the day as well. I am still working on Arkansas (where my brother lives) and Tennessee (where I now live).

Several events are being planned by CDH parents all over the country to promote awareness on March 31, including rallies, candlelight ceremonies, blood drives, and wearing turquoise. I told Claire's surgeon about it the last time we saw her and she got really excited and agreed to spread the word and pass out turquoise ribbons around the hospital.

3 comments:

LaurenZiebart said...

That's amazing! Congratulations on getting that done! I'm really proud of you, and I know Claire will be too.

Love Lauren
Avery's Mommy 3.17.06 -4.3.06 CDH

Elizabeth said...

This is awesome! And yes, frame it for Claire - and yourself!

Everytime I see one of these Proclamations - I get chills!

Peace,
Elizabeth

PollyGus said...

This is the 1st time I have visited your site. My daughter was born with the CDH in April 2006 and is doing quite well. I have gone to the Breath of Hope site and asked for a sample letter to submit to my Governor. I live in the state of WA. Thank you for all the time and care you have put into this - it means so much to so many.

Polly