Friday, August 3, 2007

Goodbye Bottles

It took eight weeks and a LOT of perseverance, but Claire is finally breastfeeding. She hasn't been fed from a bottle for over 24 hours now, and judging by the number of diapers I've changed she is getting plenty of food. This makes life easier on me because now I can just feed her without also having to pump and wash bottles. This is especially more convenient in the middle of the night!

I'm not sure exactly how much Claire weighs now, but I know it is over 8 lbs. She is getting chubby cheeks and her arms and legs are starting to get little fat rolls. She has outgrown all of her newborn-sized clothes and is now wearing size 0-3 months. We go back to Children's on the 16th for follow-up appointments with the surgeon and pulmonary doctor, and they will x-ray her chest and weigh her. I bet she will be over 9 lbs by then. The pulmonary doctor said that her gaining weight is a good indicator of lung growth.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Hi - I found your blog through a friend's (Emily's) and have been reading about Claire's progress since she was born! I am so happy to see how well she is doing! Just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of people out there praying for you guys, even if you don't know us :)

All our best-
The Corn family, Nashville, TN

Anonymous said...

OK, now Claire has sealed her reputation as an overachiever. How fabulous for the two of you that she is able to breastfeed! I know that it is easier. We're still praying for you guys.
The Varnons

Vicki Jensen said...

Cindy,
That's fantastic that Claire is breastfeeding now. I'm sure it took a lot of work to get to that point. It's wonderful that you can share that bonding time with her now! Keep up the good work Claire!
~Vicki

Mommy said...

We have the same high chair! I actually posted it on my other blog because I like it so much. I am so glad that she is now breastfeeding. Old post, so she must be doing really well now. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing you're the one making her grow. At least that's how I feel.

Lo said...

I know your little girl is 2 years old now but I just came across this blog. My son has CDH as well. I'm about 26wks pregnant and this past week has been really hard on me. I've been so torn up by it all, mostly freaking out about having to deliver an hour from my house because the hosp here doesn't have ECMO machines. Your story was very uplifting and made me stop crying (at least for now). It's amazing that Claire was only in the hosp for about 3 weeks. Such an amazing story. Thanks for sharing. You have no idea how much reading this has helped me today.