Friday, July 20, 2007

2-Month Checkup

I took Claire to the pediatrician today. She weighs 7 lbs 11 oz and is 20.5 inches long (she was 19 inches long when she was born). He listened to her lungs and said they sounded good. They increased her Zantac dosage again since she had gained weight, so hopefully that will help her not to spit up so much. I've been feeding her less milk more often today, and so far she has kept it all down.

The docs at UAB didn't do her newborn screening correctly when she was born -- I guess they were in a hurry since they were worried about whether or not she was breathing. So they had to prick her heel today and redo it.

They also went ahead and did her 2-month vaccinations. She had to drink some stuff to protect her against the Rotavirus, and then she got four shots -- two in each thigh. The needles they used looked long enough to go through her little leg, and I've never seen her cry that hard. She stopped breathing for several seconds and turned beet red. It took me a long time to calm her down, and then she slept for several hours afterwards.

When we got home I gave her some Children's Tylenol for the pain. She is calm now, and has Snoopy band-aids stuck all over her body.

3 comments:

Linda Willingham said...

Claire is doing so great!! What lucky parents she has. I know getting the shots is bad but next time you go for shots...start the tylenol before you go. It seemed to work with my girls. They didn't seem to get a fever and they seemed to tollerate it better. I will continue to pray for your family.

Linda Willingham
Kennewick, WA

Shelli Smith said...

I've started spacing Alli Claire's vaccines out so she doesn't have to be stuck so many times at once. I let them give her one at the appointment and then one a month until she's caught up. You can make a monthly appointment with the nurse and she can give them without you having to pay co-pays each time :o) Just food for thought... And they should have given you a sample bottle of Tylenol before they have her the shots if you hadn't already given her a dose. If you forget next time, ask them for some. I'm so glad Claire is doing so well. God is soo good, isn't he?!

Cindy said...

I didn't know they were going to give her the shots this visit -- I thought they would wait until she was 2 months old. Next time I will give her Tylenol ahead of time. That's a good idea about spacing the shots out over several appointments.