Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Eyes Open

Last night I asked the nurse if I could trim Claire's fingernails, because they were very long and she had scratched herself a few times. I gave her a nice little "manicure" and she didn't seem to mind at all.

Afterwards, she opened her eyes! Her eyelids were VERY heavy, but she looked at me and James for about 30 minutes while we talked to her. It was the first time James had seen her eyes (which are blue/gray), and the first time I had seen them since holding her right after she was born. It was very awesome. We told her all about her house where she is coming to live and the fun toys she has in her room. James is getting a cold so he wore a mask and gloves yesterday just to be safe, so I'm sure Claire was wondering who that strange creature with the blue mask was who was in her face.

Claire had her first poopy diaper yesterday, which James got the privilege of changing.

She had a few really fussy moments yesterday where she would do the "silent cry" that breaks my heart. One time she got so mad she held her breath and all the monitors went off, which scared us to death. The nurse ran over and bagged her and calmed her down. I guess all babies hold their breath when they get upset, but it is unnerving when there are alarms dinging all over the place and you can't pick them up to comfort them. At least we know she is a feisty little thing.

We will find out today what place in line Claire is for her surgery, so we will have an idea of exactly what time it will start tomorrow.

5 comments:

Carole said...

Cindy,
Thanks so much for the update. Claire is doing so awesome. Continuing to keep you all in my prayers.
~Carole

Shelli Smith said...

I am so trilled to hear about all of Claire's "firsts"s!! God has great plans for your little girl. I will be praying with you through tomorrow's surgery. Please keep us up to date on your happenings so we can be as specific as possible in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Those eyes open moments are incredible! I have a lump in my throat from reading about you telling Claire all about home. I can't wait for that wonderful day for you.

Love Lauren
Avery's Mom 3/17/06-4/3/06
LCDH, ACD

Vicki Jensen said...

Claire is a real fighter! I'll be thinking of her and you guys all day tomorrow. That's fantastic that they will do the surgery laproscopically. I had no idea they could do that! Keep up the good work Claire!
Love, Vicki
Expectant mom to Jack, LCDH, EDD 8-27-07

Cathy said...

You will all be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I so enjoy reading the updates that are posted. I'm looking forward to hearing all about her first days at home.