Friday, June 8, 2007

Day One

Claire is on a conventional ventilator and is sedated. So far she is very stable, and they have been able to slowly wean down her oxygen (she's down from 100% to 40%). Dr. S, who we met with in March, will be her surgeon. They will continue to monitor her blood gases throughout the weekend, and will make a decision early next week as to when to do her hernia repair surgery.

Her stomach and about half of her intestines are definitely up in her chest, which has caused her left lung to be underdeveloped. Her right lung is close to normal size but is squished by her heart, which is shifted over to the right. They did an echocardiogram on her heart and the blood flow looks good. She had LOTS of visitors today from her aunts, uncles, and grandparents.

I have been stuck at UAB Hospital all day because they are still giving me magnesium via an IV. They are going to discontinue it tonight and tomorrow I will FINALLY be able to go over to Children's and see my Claire bear. In the meantime James has been going back and forth, talking with the doctors and nurses and bringing me updates and lots of pictures.

11 comments:

Amy said...

She looks so cute! And much bigger than her weight was.

Cathy said...

She is precious. Her head is perfectly round and she has so much hair. I know you must be so lonely for her.

Keep posting pictures. I want to see one with her and her grandmother.

Sharon said...

We were so excited to go to NICU with James to see sweet Claire. James is so tender with her. We know that you cannot wait to see her. We are praying for the hall pass so that you can get out and go over to Children's. You have wonderful nurses and other medical staff paying a lot of attention to our girl! We love you! John and Casey

Anonymous said...

I found your page through another CDH blog. I am a 26 year survivor...my prayers are with you!

Vicki Jensen said...

Claire is absolutely beautiful. What a little fighter too. That's fantastic news that she only requires a vent and she cried when she was born. I'm so happy for you and your family! I'll keep Claire and your family in my prayers. That's great if they can do her repair soon. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter!
Love
Vicki
expectant mom to Jack (LCDH, EDD 8-27-07)

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness, she is so beautiful! She has no kind of cone head, it's so perfect. Maybe they'll get you off of that stupid magnesium soon.

The Spina's said...

Hey guys, claire looks like a cutie, obviously she gets that from Cindy. We are in VA now, when we get back we'll come see ya. You guys hang in there, we're pray for all of you.

Heidi Carlson BOH said...

What a sweet little Princess. We are praying for you baby Claire!

barbara said...

Cindy-you and James are amazing parents! We are praying that Claire Bear (as you called her, I love that!) stays strong. Thanks so much for all the updates-I feel like we are there. All the Kilbournes send their love-Barb, Ed, Davey, Mikey, Becka and Katie

Jennifer said...

She looks so good Cindy!! I will continue praying for you guys! Remember I am here if you need anything!!! ((HUGS))

God Bless!
Jennifer
Caden, LCDH 6-1-05--now an ACTIVE toddler!!

gigi said...

We are so exited for you. She looks like a fighter. We will keep you in our prayers. Gigi and Phillip