Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Lunch With CDH Mom

When we toured Children's Hospital last month there was a baby boy with CDH who had been there for several months. One of the nurses put me in contact with his mom, and we have been emailing back and forth for a while. We met for lunch today and she "showed me the ropes" of the hospital.

Her baby finally came off the ventilator last week. He is still on oxygen and has a feeding tube, but hopefully will be able to go home soon. She has seen eleven CDH babies come through since she has been there, and only one of those didn't make it. She had great things to say about the doctors and nurses up there.

My belly is getting HUGE and Claire has been moving around a LOT. James felt her kick for the first time a few weeks ago and was thrilled. We got a crib and started fixing up her room -- I posted some pictures of our handiwork in the photo gallery. I am looking forward to some fun baby showers next month.

7 comments:

carole said...

Cindy,
So glad you could met with a fellow CDH mom. The statistics must have put you more at ease. Thinking of you and praying for baby Claire.
~Carole

baby Jackson said...

Hi Cindy. I know that talking to other CDH moms has helped me a lot, glad you found someone. It sounds like your guys will be at a good hospital. Prayers for you and your family.
Love
Kimberly (Jackson's mommy)

Heidi said...

The support of other CDH Mom's helps tremendously. I wouldn't have had the strength to get through it without them. Claire's nursery is so cute. We're keeping your family in our prayers.
Hugs,
Heidi & Julia Grace 6-2-06 LCDH

www.carepages.com
user name: JuliaGraceCarlson

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,
You are soooo cute pregnant. What a great blessing it must be to talk to other Moms about CDH. I have prayed the right people would help ya'll through this and he has. I continue to lift you up in my prayers.

In Christ,

Linda Faust
Troy, Alabama

JoAnn Cooke said...

Hi Cindy,
We are sending lots of hopeful prayers for you and Claire. If you would like to post a link to Nanette Cooke's CDH blog at www.nanettecooke.blogspot.com, you certainly may. We haven't continued posting past her successful arrival home last May, though. Thankfully, everything has gone almost perfect since then and she's a very normal one-year-old.
With love,
JoAnn Cooke
joann_cooke@yahoo.com

Jennifer said...

Hi Cindy! My name is Jennifer and I too have a CDH baby. Well not really a baby anymore, he will be 2 in June! I live in Huntsville and we spend LOTS of time at Children's hospital in Birmingham. That surgery staff is awesome. If you ever need to talk or have any questions, please let me know. My email address is jparker0803@yahoo.com and if you want to read my story, http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=50639006&blogID=100868577&MyToken=b21d9250-c73f-4a25-a2e8-87e747ec2a4e

Jennifer

Kelly Fischer said...

Hey Cindy. I haven't tuned into your blog before, but I found it when I was looking through some other CDH blogs. I'm not a mom myself, but I am the nanny of a CDH baby--Ella West, I don't know if you know her or not; or her parents, Josh and Tina. www.ellawest.com

Anyway, Ella has had a particularly tough struggle with her CDH. She was on ECMO for 3 weeks after she was born, she is 15 months old and is still on oxygen and being fed through the g-tube, and is having a lot of other kinds of intolerances due to her condition. But she is the sweetest child EVER, so know that no matter what you go through, the smile from your child at the end of the day makes it all so worth it. And the blessing of sharing the strength you're finding through God to push through this is phenomenal.

You and Baby Claire will be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.